This is an interest group dedicated to mastering and advancing the Art of Decision-Making.
Being good at making decisions requires mastery of three skillsets:
- Possessing the self-knowledge and honesty to deeply understand your own preferences and needs.
- Mastery of the conceptual and mathematical tools of abstract decision theory, so that we may make quick decisions and take action.
- Possessing the world-knowledge to accurately anticipate the likelihoods of future events
In this group we will master and evolve each of these three aspects of the Art through the following activities:
- Monthly Decision-Making workshops, in which we will practice deconstructing decision problems in our own lives, coming to master and internalize (1) and (2).
- Occasional participation in forecasting tournaments to sharpen our skills at (3).
Decision-making sits at the intersection between Epistemic and Instrumental Rationality. It is the skillset required to choose the appropriate action in response to information. Practical, real-life decision-making is an underdeveloped art form. Members of this group will not only master the existing tools, but develop new ones collaboratively, and teach each other to become better decision-makers.