Before our class session, please watch the video below for an overview of the subject matter we will be discussing, and familiarize yourself with the background materials linked below.
- Farlands - What Is A Meta-Game?
- The first 20 hours -- how to learn anything | Josh Kaufman
This weeks lesson is about choosing the right order or “sequence” in which to learn the building blocks of your new skill or subject. It is important to learn the correct material in the order that gives the most momentum going forward and saves you the most time and energy to re-devote to the skill. This is also intimately tied to how often you practice and your “frequency”.
- The material above gives 2 main methods of prioritizing what material to learn. The 2x2 method and the Metagame analysis.
- Break down your new skill into its component parts and lay them out on a 2x2 format as described in the reading for this week. Bring this with you to class
- Another strategy is to break down both the skill as a game and ask yourself “ what is the meta game here?” brainstorm about how you can apply this framing to your skill if you were ina competitive league
For your discussion this week during cohort time bring your 2x2 graphs and help each other pick the best sequencing based on your data points if it isn't obvious. Then try and determine your frequency. Make sure to account for Optimism Bias and Planning Fallacy!